26 January 2011

travel is all around us

Recently I stumbled upon Worldhum, a website dedicated to travel writing.  While other sites are designed to help you find the cheapest flight or the most convenient hotel, Worldhum wants to tell the stories of travel - on the places we go, what we find shocking or mundane, and how it changes or inspires us.  In a sense, that's what plum for the road is trying to do, although the only story I'm telling is mine (but hopefully that will change).  I try to incorporate literature, history, and (eventually) music alongside my pictures where I can because my time abroad was about more than just visiting places; travel is both sensory and emotional.  It's about being moved by new music, being overwhelmed by new and delicious food and drink, it's forcing yourself to ski down the mountain, it's knowing that what you are experiencing will change you forever.  I find Worldhum so appealing because with it's collection of literature, blogs, photography, music, and nonfiction, they clearly believe the same.

I particularly enjoyed their post on the 100 Most Celebrated Travel Books of All Time (although I'm skeptical of their listing Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Love, Pray ahead of Rory Stewart's The Places in Between, but that's just me) and another on the Top 40 Travels Songs of All Time.  That got me thinking about the music I came to know and appreciate during my time in Europe.  They're largely songs you're most likely to here in bars and clubs, but that's because I spent a lot of time in bars and clubs.  To begin with, songs like:

Daft Punk's One More Time:



No comments:

Post a Comment