11 January 2011

Normandy

Tonight my 15 minute commute took 45 minutes.  As a result, I had a lot of time to think about what I was going to write about these pictures.   In fact, I'd been thinking about this post for several days.  Perhaps I've been stumped about what to write because I kept coming back to the question of why I took these pictures in the first place.  After leaving Paris we traveled throughout Normandy, stopping first in the town of Chartres to see the Chartres Cathedral.  It's a massive structure, one of the few cathedrals to survive the de-Christianization purges of the French Revolution.  It's also unique because one spire is built in the Romanesque style while the other is Flamboyant Gothic.  Somehow I chose not to take a picture of the cathedral, and instead took a picture of this (what you find if you follow the path behind the building and down the stairs):


It's pretty, but whhhyyy?

Next we traveled to Mont Sainte-Michel, the island monastery on the Norman coast.



We ended our trip in Arromanches and spent a day exploring Juno Beach, site of the British landings on D-Day.  The remnants of the landing craft are clearly visible on the beach in the foreground and in the distance in the water.



The sun rises over Juno Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment