17 January 2011

švestky na silnici

Have you ever had one of those moments when you find yourself in an extraordinary situation and all you can think to yourself is, how on earth did I get here??  Such was the feeling I had when, in early December, I found myself at the Prague's Smetana Opera House seeing a production of Verdi's Nabucco.  I can't tell you a thing about Nabucco, as it was sung in Italian and translated into Czech. I can recall instead the stirring music, the warmth of the hall compared to dreary cold of that day, the plush velvet seats, and the overwhelming sense that this was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. 


Prague was never on my must-see list of places to visit.  Unlike France, Ireland, and Italy (stay tuned), Prague was an unexpected destination, a place I ended up in only because a couple of friends suggested we go for a long weekend.  But what a discovery it was.  It's an exquisite city.  The Old Town especially, where all of these pictures were taken, has the grandeur of a cultural capital and the misty, cobble-stoned road eerieness of a small village.  Prague was the first and only eastern European city that I visited during my year abroad.  It was both a reminder of how much I had seen and how much I still had left to see. 

Prague:

The Charles Bridge:





I need to go back just to take better pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment